Statement of Accreditation Status
Hostos Community College of the City University of New York
- CEO: Dr. Daisy Cocco De Filippis, President
- Accreditation Liaison Officer: Dean Babette Audant
- Commission Staff Liaison: Dr. Paul Starkey, Vice President
- Carnegie Classification: Associate's Colleges: High Transfer-High Traditional » Two-year, large
- Control: Public
- Former Name(s): CUNY - Hostos Community College (7/26/2010)
- Phase: Accredited
- Status: Accreditation Reaffirmed
- Accreditation Granted: 1974
- Last Reaffirmation: 2017
- Next Self-Study Evaluation: 2021-2022
- Next Mid-Point Peer Review: 2026
- The following represents the MSCHE accreditation actions taken in the last ten (10) years.
- April 16, 2020
To acknowledge receipt of formal written notice from the institution in response to the Commission's request of March 9, 2020. To temporarily waive Substantive Change Policy and Procedures and allow the use of distance education to accommodate students impacted by coronavirus (COVID-19) interruptions, in accordance with United States Department of Education (USDE) guidelines published March 5, 2020. Continued use of distance education beyond the limitations of USDE guidelines will require substantive change approval in accordance with Substantive Change Policy and Procedures. This flexibility is not available for clock-hour courses that lead to licensure if the licensing body will not accept distance learning courses or hours or give credit for them toward the number of hours a student must complete. The next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2021-2022.
- November 16, 2017
To accept the Periodic Review Report and to reaffirm accreditation. The next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2021-2022.
- March 6, 2014
To accept the progress report. The Periodic Review Report is due June 1, 2017.
- March 3, 2014
To acknowledge receipt of the substantive change request. To include the online Associate in Applied Science in Early Childhood Education within the scope of the institution's accreditation. The Periodic Review Report is due June 1, 2017.
- June 28, 2012
To reaffirm accreditation and to request a progress report, due November 1, 2013, documenting further development and implementation of an organized and sustained assessment process to evaluate all educational offerings (Standard 11) and general education as a discrete program (Standard 12) with a focus on student learning (Standard 14). The Periodic Review Report is due June 1, 2017.
- Distance Education
Approved to offer programs by this delivery method
- Correspondence Education
Not approved for this delivery method
Approved Credential Levels
The following represents credential levels included in the scope of the institution’s accreditation:
- Postsecondary award (1-2 yrs) Included within the scope:
- Associate's Degree or Equivalent Included within the scope: