Statement of Accreditation Status
Hobart & William Smith Colleges
- CEO: Dr. Joyce Jacobsen, President
- Accreditation Liaison Officer: Dr. Sarah Kirk
- Commission Staff Liaison: Dr. Robert Bonfiglio, Vice President
- Carnegie Classification: Baccalaureate Colleges: Arts & Sciences Focus » Four-year, small, highly residential
- Control: Private (Non-Profit)
- Phase: Accredited
- Status: Accreditation Reaffirmed
- Accreditation Granted: 1921
- Last Reaffirmation: 2014
- Next Self-Study Evaluation: 2023-2024
- Next Mid-Point Peer Review: 2028
- The following represents the MSCHE accreditation actions taken in the last ten (10) years.
- February 17, 2022
To acknowledge receipt of the substantive change request. To include alternative delivery method-distance education within the institution's scope of accreditation. To note that the Commission reserves the right to rescind approval of this substantive change if any developments reveal additional information that might have affected the Commission's decision and/or the requested substantive change is not implemented within one calendar year from the date of this action. The next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2023-2024.
- March 4, 2021
To note that the Mid-Point Peer Review has been conducted. To request that the next self-study, in preparation for a visit in 2023-2024, provide further evidence of (1) demonstrated strategies to measure and assess the adequacy of institutional resources required to support the institution's mission and goals (Standard VI) and (2) improved financial viability and sustainability (Standard VI).
- April 16, 2020
To acknowledge receipt of formal written notice from the institution in response to the Commission's request of March 9, 2020. To temporarily waive Substantive Change Policy and Procedures and allow the use of distance education to accommodate students impacted by coronavirus (COVID-19) interruptions, in accordance with United States Department of Education (USDE) guidelines published March 5, 2020. Continued use of distance education beyond the limitations of USDE guidelines will require substantive change approval in accordance with Substantive Change Policy and Procedures. This flexibility is not available for clock-hour courses that lead to licensure if the licensing body will not accept distance learning courses or hours or give credit for them toward the number of hours a student must complete. The next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2023-2024.
- June 26, 2014
To reaffirm accreditation and to commend the institution for the quality of the self-study process and report. The Periodic Review Report is due June 1, 2019.
- Distance Education
Approved to offer programs by this delivery method
- Correspondence Education
Not approved for this delivery method
Approved Credential Levels
The following represents credential levels included in the scope of the institution’s accreditation:
- Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent Included within the scope:
- Master's Degree or Equivalent Included within the scope: