Cazenovia College Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Cazenovia College announced on December 7, 2022, that it will close.

Cazenovia College has reported that it will close June 30, 2023. On February 16, 2023, the Commission acted to note that accreditation will cease on September 1, 2023.

Cazenovia College has provided additional information regarding closure, including a frequently asked questions (FAQ) resource, on the Cazenovia College website.


What are teach-out plans and teach-out agreements?

The Commission required Cazenovia College to complete and submit for approval a comprehensive, implementable teach-out plan with signed teach-out agreements.

On May 18, 2023, the Commission acted to request an updated teach-out plan, due June 30, 2023.

A teach-out plan is a written plan developed by the institution that provides for the equitable treatment of students to complete their education. The purpose of the teach-out plan is to make reasonable accommodations and assist students with completing educational programs or credentials or transferring to a new institution. The Commission requires a teach-out plan and teach-out agreements when an institution risks the loss of accreditation or intends to close. Teach-out agreements are specific agreements made by the institution with appropriate teach-out partner institutions. The purpose of the teach-out agreement is to make accommodations for and assist students as much as possible and provide clear and transparent information regarding those arrangements. They are intended to facilitate students’ transition to another institution so they can graduate in a program of their choosing. These agreements are to be negotiated between Cazenovia College and other institutions with similar programs of study.

The Commission has approved teach-out agreements with the following institutions:

Alfred University, Alfred, NY

Daemen University, Amherst, NY

Elizabethtown College, Elizabethtown, PA

Elmira College, Elmira, NY

Excelsior University, Albany, NY

Gannon University, Erie, PA

Hartwick College, Oneonta, NY

Hilbert College, Hamburg, NY

Hobart and William Smith Colleges, Geneva, NY

Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY

Johnson and Wales University, Providence, RI

Keuka College, Keuka Park, NY

Le Moyne College, Dewitt, NY

LIM College, New York, NY

Mercy College, Dobbs Ferry, NY

Niagara University, Lewiston, NY

Russell Sage College, Troy, NY

St. Bonaventure University, St. Bonaventure, NY

SUNY Buffalo State University, Buffalo, NY

SUNY College of Technology at Alfred, Alfred, NY

SUNY Cortland, Cortland, NY

SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse, NY

SUNY College of Agriculture and Technology at Morrisville, Morrisville, NY

SUNY College at Oneonta, Oneonta, NY

SUNY College at Purchase, Purchase, NY

SUNY Oswego, Oswego, NY

Utica University, Utica, NY

Villa Maria College, Buffalo, NY

Wells College, Aurora, NY

Can students transfer to another institution?

The institution has announced its closure as of June 30, 2023. Current students can transfer at any time and to any institution, including those without a teach-out agreement. Students are entitled to receive clear, accurate, and thorough information from Cazenovia College about their options to pursue other educational opportunities.

Students cannot be charged additional fees for exercising the option to transfer.

Where can students transfer?

Students can apply for transfer to any institution that meets their needs and where they may qualify for admission. Transfer opportunities are not limited to those institutions that have teach-out agreements with Cazenovia College. Students can transfer at any time and to any institution.

What other things should students consider when transferring?

Students should look for an institution that is in good standing with accreditors. Students should always research the accreditation status of the institution they are considering for transfer. MSCHE posts accreditation status for its member institutions in the Institution Directory on our website.

Individual programs may also be accredited by a programmatic accreditor. Students are encouraged to contact both the institutional and programmatic accreditors of institutions and programs to verify the accreditation status of the institution they are considering.

Visit the MSCHE Student Resources page for additional information.

Can Cazenovia College charge students additional fees if they withdraw or transfer?

No, Cazenovia College cannot charge students additional fees for withdrawing or transferring.

Will all students receive a copy of their transcripts?

Cazenovia College has reported that students can obtain transcripts from the National Student Clearinghouse. There is a nominal fee and delivery choices when using the online ordering service. To order an official transcript(s), login to the National Student Clearinghouse secure site. Students will be able to obtain transcripts through the National Student Clearinghouse through June 30, 2023.

Commission policy and procedure require the institution to provide a copy of transcripts to all current students. Cazenovia College cannot withhold student transcripts. New York law prevents institutions from withholding student transcripts and from charging students higher fees for their transcripts if they have unpaid debts (N.Y. Educ. Law § 640).

Le Moyne College, Dewitt, NY has been designated as the final repository of all Cazenovia College student records. On June 30, 2023, all academic records will be moved to Le Moyne College. Any student who needs a transcript at that time will need to contact Le Moyne College for a paper copy until all transcripts are available through Parchment, Le Moyne’s system for obtaining electronic transcripts. It is anticipated that Cazenovia student records will be available electronically around September 1, 2023.

What does the closure mean for students who expect to graduate by the closure date?

Cazenovia College has announced that it will hold graduation for seniors on May 13, 2023, as planned.

Where can students find more information on Cazenovia College’s website?

Cazenovia College has provided additional information regarding closure, including a frequently asked questions (FAQ) resource, on its website at

Additional resources for students include:

United States Department of Education

Office of Federal Student Aid

The above link can provide assistance if your college or career school closed while you were enrolled, or soon after you withdrew.

If your school misled you or engaged in other misconduct in violation of certain state laws, you may be eligible for “borrower defense to loan repayment,” sometimes shortened to “borrower defense.” This is the discharge of some or all of your federal student loan debt. Visit the link above for more information.

New York State Education Department

Student and Exchange Visitor Program

SEVP Response Center: Phone: 703-603-3400 Email:

Education USA

New York Legal Assistance Group: Phone: 212-659-6166

National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA)

Intercollegiate Horse Shows Association

North Atlantic Conference

International Students

How does Cazenovia College’s closure affect international students?

International students attending Cazenovia College on a student visa have unique considerations. International students may find more information at

Please note that the institution cannot withhold the transfer of international students’ I-20 to another institution due to unpaid balances. International students should research the SEVP Certification status of the institution they are considering for transfer. SEVP posts SEVP Certified schools on its website:

Who should international students contact for more information?

The Department of Homeland Security’s Office of the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) encourages international students to contact the SEVP Response Center for assistance: Phone: 703-603-3400 Email:

Student Athletes

How does Cazenovia College’s loss of accreditation affect student athletes and eligibility?

Eligibility rules remain the same whether a school has closed or if the student is transferring for their own reasons. If the school closes in-season, athletes in season would receive a transfer exception.

Cazenovia College participates in the transfer portal for athletes and has offered transfer assistance to student-athletes. For additional information, visit

Institutions Interested in Teach-Out Agreements with Cazenovia College

What do other institutions with questions about teach-out agreements need to know?

Teach-Out Plans and Agreement(s) Policy and Procedures Section IV. Procedures for the Submission of Teach-Out Agreements of the Procedures outlines the purpose of teach-out agreements, what the agreements should include, and the conditions that a teach-out partner must meet. The responsibility to develop teach-out agreements rests with Cazenovia College, which is required to submit a teach-out plan and agreement(s), and MSCHE cannot develop the agreements or connect institutions interested entering into such an agreement with Cazenovia College. Teach-out plans and agreements must be approved by MSCHE.

A teach-out agreement should include a comprehensive description of the arrangements being made for students between the two institutions, including at least the following critical information:

  • Information on the number and types of credits that will be accepted by the teach-out institution.
  • Information on the specific locations where instruction will be offered by the teach-out institution.
  • Any additional financial charges or changes in tuition and fees.
  • A description of the relevant educational program to ensure that it is comparable in quality and reasonably similar in content, delivery modality, and scheduling.

Can institutions without an approved teach-out agreement accept students who wish to transfer from Cazenovia College?

Yes, any institution can consider transfer students from Cazenovia College. Institutions without an approved teach-out agreement can accept students who wish to transfer from Cazenovia College. If any exceptions to institutions’ policies or procedures are made to facilitate the award of transfer credit and academic progress for students, including but not limited to admissions, transfer of credit, or residency requirements, the exceptions and conditions under which the exception was applied must be justified and documented and must continue to comply with applicable law.

Can institutions receiving Cazenovia College students make exceptions to transfer policies or required residency policies to assist students?

Some institutions do include exceptions to transfer policies or required residency policies in the teach-out agreements; however, institutions must document under what circumstances an exception was made and the conditions that must be met for the exception to be applied. Without a teach-out agreement, institutions making exceptions to accommodate Cazenovia College students who transfer must also document exceptions.

Transfer Credit, Prior Learning, and Articulation Agreements Policy and Procedures requires institutions to seek to minimize the loss of credit for students wherever possible. Institutions should strive for appropriate balance among consistency, fairness, flexibility, good educational practice, and academic program integrity.

In addition, institutions must always remain mindful of state requirements and regulations and, in matters governed by state regulations, comply with state law or obtain an exception from the appropriate state agency. The institution must also comply with the requirements for programmatic accreditors.

Can institutions enter into a teach-out agreement that includes a program not currently offered?

The partner institution must have the appropriate state authority and the capacity to offer a program. Institutions are responsible for ensuring appropriate program approval and registration. Institutional representatives should outreach to their state licensing agency to ensure any requirements relating to programs delivered in the state are met. Institutions must be mindful of programmatic accreditor requirements and should consult with the programmatic accreditor to ensure that their requirements are met.

Can institutions make exceptions to some degree and/or general education requirements?

Partner institutions should do a program-to-program articulation, which includes an analysis of how student learning outcomes for courses in one institution are equivalent to outcomes for courses in the other institution. Institutions must determine degree requirements and any substitutions based on institutional policies and procedures. If exceptions are made, those should be documented and justified.

Additional Resources

Version 2.1 – May 21, 2023
Version 2.0 – May 2, 2023
Version 1.0 – March 22, 2023