Statement of Accreditation Status
School of Visual Arts
- CEO: Mr. David Rhodes, President
- Accreditation Liaison Officer: Dr. Christopher Cyphers
- Commission Staff Liaison: Dr. Idna Corbett, Vice President
- Carnegie Classification: Special Focus Four-Year: Arts, Music & Design Schools » Four-year, medium, primarily residential
- Control: Private (For-Profit)
- Phase: Accredited
- Status: Accreditation Reaffirmed
- Accreditation Granted: 1978
- Last Reaffirmation: 2017
- Next Self-Study Evaluation: 2025-2026
- Next Mid-Point Peer Review: 2022
- The following represents the MSCHE accreditation actions taken in the last ten (10) years.
- April 16, 2020
To acknowledge receipt of formal written notice from the institution in response to the Commission’s request of March 9, 2020. To temporarily waive Substantive Change Policy and Procedures and allow the use of distance education to accommodate students impacted by coronavirus (COVID-19) interruptions, in accordance with United States Department of Education (USDE) guidelines published March 5, 2020. Continued use of distance education beyond the limitations of USDE guidelines will require substantive change approval in accordance with Substantive Change Policy and Procedures. This flexibility is not available for clock-hour courses that lead to licensure if the licensing body will not accept distance learning courses or hours or give credit for them toward the number of hours a student must complete. The next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2025-2026.
- July 3, 2017
To note that the update and site visit regarding the Change in Ownership and Legal Status occurred during the Evaluation Team Visit.
- June 22, 2017
To reaffirm accreditation. To acknowledge the institution’s participation in the Collaborative Implementation Project and to commend the institution for the quality of the self-study process. The next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2025-2026.
- June 23, 2016
To acknowledge receipt of the complex substantive change request. To provisionally include the change in ownership, with the SVA Alumni Society as the new principal owner, within the scope on the institution's accreditation pending the following: (a) documentation of all necessary legal procedures required to ensure the conversion from for-profit to non-profit status; and (b) a site visit to occur within six months of the effective date of the completed change in ownership and legal status. The next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2016-2017.
- Distance Education
Approved to offer programs by this delivery method
- Correspondence Education
Not approved for this delivery method
Approved Credential Levels
The following represents credential levels included in the scope of the institution’s accreditation:
- Postsecondary award (1-2 yrs)
- Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent
- Master's Degree or Equivalent