Statement of Accreditation Status
John Jay College of Criminal Justice of the City University of New York
- CEO: Ms. Karol Mason, President and Chief Executive Officer
- Accreditation Liaison Officer: Dr. Allison Pease
- Commission Staff Liaison: Dr. Kushnood Haq, Vice President
- Carnegie Classification: Master's Colleges & Universities: Larger Programs » Four-year, large, primarily nonresidential
- Control: Public
- Former Name(s): College of Police Science (COPS), CUNY - John Jay College of Criminal Justice (7/26/2010)
- Phase: Accredited
- Status: Accreditation Reaffirmed
- Accreditation Granted: 1965
- Last Reaffirmation: 2013
- Next Self-Study Evaluation: 2022-2023
- Next Mid-Point Peer Review: 2027
- The following represents the MSCHE accreditation actions taken in the last ten (10) years.
- March 5, 2020
To note that the Mid-Point Peer Review has been conducted and no further evidence is required at this time. The next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2022-2023.
- November 21, 2019
To acknowledge receipt of the supplemental information report. The next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2022-2023.
- March 14, 2019
To acknowledge receipt of the Supplemental Information Report. To request a supplemental information report due October 1, 2019, addressing any and all significant developments related to any investigations conducted by the institution or by state, federal, or other government agencies related to the Commission's action of November 12, 2018 (Requirement of Affiliation 5). The next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2022-2023.
- November 12, 2018
Staff acted on behalf of the Commission to request a supplemental information report, due December 14, 2018, addressing recent developments at the institution which may have implications for current and future compliance with Standard II: Ethics and Integrity and Standard IV: Support of the Student Experience.
- June 29, 2015
To acknowledge receipt of the substantive change request. To include the postsecondary certificates (<1 year) in Legal Translation in Spanish and Legal Interpretation in Spanish within the scope of the institution's accreditation. The Periodic Review Report is due June 1, 2018.
- June 25, 2015
To accept the progress report. The Periodic Review Report is due June 1, 2018.
- June 27, 2013
To reaffirm accreditation and commend the institution on the quality of the self-study process and self-study report. To request a progress report, due April 1, 2015, documenting evidence of (1) a mission statement that clearly defines the institution's purpose within the context of higher education and indicates who the institution serves and what it intends to accomplish.(Standard 1); (2) further implementation of an integrated strategic planning process linked to budgeting and resource allocation (Standard 2); and (3) sufficient numbers of appropriately prepared and qualified faculty with roles and responsibilities clearly defined (Standard 10). The Periodic Review Report is due June 1, 2018.
- July 24, 2012
To acknowledge receipt of documentation of approval from NYSED and to include the online MPA in Public Policy and Administration, and MPA in Inspection and Oversight programs within the scope of the institution's accreditation.
- June 28, 2012
To accept the progress report. To remind the institution that the online MPA in Public Policy and Administration and MPA in Inspection and Oversight programs have been included within the scope of the institution's accreditation pending receipt of New York state approval. The next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2012-2013.
- Distance Education
Approved to offer programs by this delivery method
- Correspondence Education
Not approved for this delivery method
Approved Credential Levels
The following represents credential levels included in the scope of the institution’s accreditation:
- Postsecondary award (< 1 year) Included within the scope:
- Postsecondary award (1-2 yrs) Included within the scope:
- Associate's Degree or Equivalent Included within the scope:
- Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent Included within the scope:
- Post-baccalaureate Certificate Included within the scope:
- Master's Degree or Equivalent Included within the scope:
- Additional Location
Rikers Island Correctional Facility
East Elmhurst, NY 11370
- Additional Location
West Point Educational Center
West Point, NY 10996