Statement of Accreditation Status
University of Maryland, Baltimore
220 N. Arch Street 14th Floor
Baltimore, MD 21201
Accreditation Liaison Officer (ALO):
Mr. Gregory Spengler
Commission Staff Liaison:
Dr. Paul Starkey, Vice President
The Statement of Accreditation Status (SAS) is the official statement of the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) about each institution’s current accreditation status and scope of accreditation. The SAS also provides a brief history of the actions taken by the Commission.
For more information, see the Commission’s Accreditation Actions Policy and Procedures.
- Phase: Accredited
- Status: Accreditation Reaffirmed
- Accreditation Granted: 1921
- Last Reaffirmation: 2016
- Next Self-Study Evaluation: 2024-2025
- Next Mid-Point Peer Review: 2021
Alternative Delivery Methods
The following represents approved alternative delivery methods included in the scope of the institution’s accreditation:
Approved to offer programs by this delivery method
Not approved for this delivery method
Approved Credential Levels
The following represents credential levels included in the scope of the institution’s accreditation:
- Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent Included within the scope:
- Post-baccalaureate Certificate Included within the scope:
- Master's Degree or Equivalent Included within the scope:
- Post-Master's Certificate Included within the scope:
- Doctor's Degree - Professional Practice Included within the scope:
- Doctor's Degree- Research/Scholarship Included within the scope:
The following represents branch campuses, additional locations, and other instructional sites that are included within the scope of the institution’s accreditation:
|Inter-American Center for Global Health (CISG)|
Oficina de Correos de Costa Rica, Sabanilla de Montes de Oca
San Jose, Costa Rica
|The University of Maryland College Park, Computer Science Instructional Center|
4140 Paint Branch Drive
College Park, MD 20740
|Universities at Shady Grove|
9630 Gudelsky Drive
Rockville, MD 20850
|College of Southern Maryland - La Plata Campus|
8730 Mitchell Road P.O. Box 910
La Plata, MD 20646
|Other Instructional Site|
|Laurel College Center|
312 Marshall Avenue Suite 205
Laurel, MD 20707
|Other Instructional Site|
Definitions: For definitions of branch campus, additional locations, or other instructional sites, see the Commission’s Substantive Change Policy and Procedures.
The following represents the MSCHE accreditation actions taken in the last ten (10) years. For more information, see the Commission’s Accreditation Actions Policy and Procedures and the Substantive Change Policy and Procedures.
- February 27, 2020To acknowledge receipt of the substantive change request. To include the additional location at The Inter- American Center for Global Health (CISG), Oficina de Correos de Costa Rica, Sabanilla de Montes de Oca, San Jose, Coto Brus, Costa Ricawithin the institution's scope of accreditation. To direct a substantive change site visit as soon as practicable but no later than six months after the commencement of instruction at theadditionallocation. To require immediate notification when instruction commences atthe additionallocation. To note that the Commission may rescind this action if instruction does not commence within one calendar year from the date of this action. The next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2024-2025.
- November 21, 2019To acknowledge receipt of the supplemental information report. The next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2024-2025.
- March 14, 2019To acknowledge receipt of the supplemental information report. To request a supplemental information report due on October 1, 2019, addressing any and all significant developments related to any investigations conducted by the institution or by state, federal, or other government agencies related to the Commission's action of December 5, 2018 (Requirement of Affiliation 5). The next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2024-2025.
- December 5, 2018Staff acted on behalf of the Commission to request a supplemental information report, due January 15, 2019, addressing recent developments at the institution which may have implications for current and future compliance with Standard II: Ethics and Integrity.
- June 23, 2016To reaffirm accreditation and to commend the institution for the quality of the self-study process and report. The date for the next accreditation review will be determined by the Commission when it revises the accreditation cycle.
- April 27, 2015To acknowledge receipt of the substantive change request. To approve the reclassification of the instructional site at Universities at Shady Grove, 9630 Gudelsky Drive, Rockville, MD 20850 as an additional location and to include the location within the scope of the institution's accreditation.
- April 27, 2015To acknowledge receipt of the substantive change request. To include the additional location at The University of Maryland College Park, Computer Science Instructional Center, 4146 Paint Branch Drive, College Park, MD 20740 within the scope of the institution's accreditation. The Commission requires written notification within thirty days of the commencement of operations at this additional location. In the event that operations at the additional location do not commence within one calendar year from the approval of this action, approval will lapse. The next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2015-2016.
Information about the Middle States Commission on Higher Education
The Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE) is one of seven institutional accrediting organizations in the United States and is recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA). MSCHE accreditation applies to an institution as a whole rather than the specific programs within an institution. MSCHE does not approve or accredit individual programs. The MSCHE accreditation review cycle is continuous and accreditation does not expire. Each institution is reevaluated and monitored on a regular and consistent basis in accordance with the institution’s assigned accreditation review cycle and Commission policy and procedures. An institution maintains its accreditation unless it is voluntarily surrendered or withdrawn by the Commission for cause, after the institution has been afforded due process. The institution’s current accreditation phase and accreditation status are displayed on the institution’s listing in the Institution Directory and in the Statement of Accreditation Status (SAS).