Statement of Accreditation Status
Capitol Technology University
- CEO: Dr. Bradford Sims, President
- Accreditation Liaison Officer: Dr. Soren Ashmall
- Commission Staff Liaison: Dr. Ellie Fogarty, Vice President
- Carnegie Classification: Special Focus Four-Year: Engineering Schools » Four-year, very small, primarily nonresidential
- Control: Private (Non-Profit)
- Former Name(s): Capitol Institute of Technology (4/1/1987), Capitol College (9/17/2014)
- Phase: Accredited
- Status: Accreditation Reaffirmed
- Accreditation Granted: 1976
- Last Reaffirmation: 2016
- Next Self-Study Evaluation: 2020-2021
- Next Mid-Point Peer Review: 2025
- The following represents the MSCHE accreditation actions taken in the last ten (10) years.
- October 29, 2020
To acknowledge receipt of the substantive change request. To note the institution’s decision to close the additional location at 44219 Airport Road, California, MD 20619 that has ceased operations. To remove the additional location from the institution’s scope of accreditation. To note that the Commission reserves the right to rescind approval of this substantive change if any developments reveal additional information that might have affected the Commission’s decision and/or the requested substantive change is not implemented within one calendar year from the date of this action. The next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2020-2021.
- April 30, 2020
To acknowledge receipt of the substantive change request. To include the additional location at Washington International Flight Academy, 7940 Airpark Road, Gaithersburg, MD 20879 within the institution’s scope of accreditation. To require immediate notification when instruction commences at the additional location. To note that the Commission may rescind this action if instruction does not commence within one calendar year from the date of this action. The next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2020-2021.
- November 17, 2016
To accept the Periodic Review Report and to reaffirm accreditation. The next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2020-2021.
- February 29, 2016
To acknowledge receipt of the substantive change request. To include the PhD in Management and Decision Sciences within the scope of the institution’s accreditation. The Periodic Review Report is due June 1, 2016.
- June 28, 2012
To accept the progress report. The Periodic Review Report is due June 1, 2016.
- June 23, 2011
To reaffirm accreditation. To request a progress report, due by April 1, 2012, documenting (1) the further development and implementation of student health and safety services (Standard 9) and (2) further development and implementation of a documented, organized, and sustained assessment process to evaluate and improve student learning across all programs (Standard 14). The Periodic Review Report is due June 1, 2016.
- June 23, 2011
To note the visit by the Commission’s representative and to affirm the inclusion of the additional location at the Southern Maryland Higher Education Center, 44219 Airport Road California, MD, 20619 within the scope of the institution's accreditation.
- Distance Education
Approved to offer programs by this delivery method
- Correspondence Education
Not approved for this delivery method
Approved Credential Levels
The following represents credential levels included in the scope of the institution’s accreditation:
- Postsecondary award (< 1 year)
- Associate's Degree or Equivalent
- Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent
- Post-baccalaureate Certificate
- Master's Degree or Equivalent
- Doctor's Degree- Research/Scholarship
- Additional Location
Washington International Flight Academy
7940 Airpark Road
Gaithersburg, MD 20879