Statement of Accreditation Status
Capitol Technology University
- CEO: Dr. Bradford Sims, President
- Accreditation Liaison Officer: Dr. Natasha Miller
- Commission Staff Liaison: Dr. Ellie Fogarty, Vice President
- Carnegie Classification: Special Focus Four-Year: Engineering Schools » Four-year, very small, primarily nonresidential
- Control: Private (Non-Profit)
- Former Name(s): Capitol Institute of Technology (4/1/1987), Capitol College (9/17/2014)
- Phase: Accredited
- Status: Accreditation Reaffirmed
- Accreditation Granted: 1976
- Last Reaffirmation: 2016
- Next Self-Study Evaluation: 2020-2021
- Next Mid-Point Peer Review: 2025
- The following represents the MSCHE accreditation actions taken in the last ten (10) years.
- June 24, 2021
To acknowledge receipt of the self-study report. To note that the institution hosted a virtual site visit in lieu of an on-site visit in accordance with United States Department of Education (USDE) guidelines published March 17, 2020. To postpone a decision and request a supplemental information report, due December 1, 2021, documenting evidence that student learning programs are characterized by coherence and appropriate assessment of student achievement throughout its educational offerings, at both institutional and program levels, with evidence that faculty and appropriate institutional stakeholders have considered and used assessment results to improve teaching and learning (Standard V). To direct a follow-up team visit following submission of the supplemental information report. To note the visit will also fulfill the verification requirements of the USDE guidelines. Upon reaffirmation of accreditation, the next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2028-2029.
- October 29, 2020
To acknowledge receipt of the substantive change request. To note the institution’s decision to close the additional location at 44219 Airport Road, California, MD 20619 that has ceased operations. To remove the additional location from the institution’s scope of accreditation. To note that the Commission reserves the right to rescind approval of this substantive change if any developments reveal additional information that might have affected the Commission’s decision and/or the requested substantive change is not implemented within one calendar year from the date of this action. The next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2020-2021.
- April 30, 2020
To acknowledge receipt of the substantive change request. To include the additional location at Washington International Flight Academy, 7940 Airpark Road, Gaithersburg, MD 20879 within the institution’s scope of accreditation. To require immediate notification when instruction commences at the additional location. To note that the Commission may rescind this action if instruction does not commence within one calendar year from the date of this action. The next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2020-2021.
- November 17, 2016
To accept the Periodic Review Report and to reaffirm accreditation. The next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2020-2021.
- February 29, 2016
To acknowledge receipt of the substantive change request. To include the PhD in Management and Decision Sciences within the scope of the institution’s accreditation. The Periodic Review Report is due June 1, 2016.
- June 28, 2012
To accept the progress report. The Periodic Review Report is due June 1, 2016.
- Distance Education
Approved to offer programs by this delivery method
- Correspondence Education
Not approved for this delivery method
Approved Credential Levels
The following represents credential levels included in the scope of the institution’s accreditation:
- Postsecondary award (< 1 year) Included within the scope:
- Associate's Degree or Equivalent Included within the scope:
- Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent Included within the scope:
- Post-baccalaureate Certificate Included within the scope:
- Master's Degree or Equivalent Included within the scope:
- Doctor's Degree- Research/Scholarship Included within the scope:
- Additional Location
Washington International Flight Academy
7940 Airpark Road
Gaithersburg, MD 20879