Statement of Accreditation Status
Saint Mary’s Seminary & University
- CEO: Rev. Phillip Brown, President-Rector
- Accreditation Liaison Officer: Ms. Patricia LeNoir
- Commission Staff Liaison: Dr. Ellie Fogarty, Vice President
- Carnegie Classification: Not classified
- Control: Private (Non-Profit)
- Phase: Accredited
- Status: Accreditation Reaffirmed
- Accreditation Granted: 1951
- Last Reaffirmation: 2016
- Next Self-Study Evaluation: 2020-2021
- Next Mid-Point Peer Review: 2025
- The following represents the MSCHE accreditation actions taken in the last ten (10) years.
- January 4, 2021
To acknowledge receipt of the substantive change request. To include alternative delivery method-distance education within the institution’s scope of accreditation. To require written evidence of approvals from all necessary licensing, regulatory, or other legal entities as necessary, including the Maryland Higher Education Commission. To note that the Commission may rescind this action if the requested substantive change is not implemented within one calendar year from the date of this action. To note the Commission delayed the On-Site Evaluation visit scheduled for Spring 2021 due to extraordinary circumstances related to coronavirus (COVID-19) interruptions. The Evaluation visit will be scheduled in accordance with Commission policy and procedures.
- October 29, 2020
To delay the On-Site Evaluation visit scheduled for Spring 2021 due to extraordinary circumstances related to coronavirus (COVID-19) interruptions and to continue accreditation. To note the institution remains accredited during a delay granted by the Commission. The Evaluation visit will be scheduled in accordance with Commission policy and procedures.
- April 16, 2020
To acknowledge receipt of formal written notice from the institution in response to the Commission’s request of March 9, 2020. To temporarily waive Substantive Change Policy and Procedures and allow the use of distance education to accommodate students impacted by coronavirus (COVID-19) interruptions, in accordance with United States Department of Education (USDE) guidelines published March 5, 2020. Continued use of distance education beyond the limitations of USDE guidelines will require substantive change approval in accordance with Substantive Change Policy and Procedures. This flexibility is not available for clock-hour courses that lead to licensure if the licensing body will not accept distance learning courses or hours or give credit for them toward the number of hours a student must complete. The next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2020-2021.
- November 17, 2016
To accept the Periodic Review Report, to reaffirm accreditation, to recognize the institution for progress to date, and to commend the institution for the quality of the Periodic Review Report. The next evaluation visit is scheduled for 2020-2021.
- November 21, 2013
To accept the progress report. The Periodic Review Report is due June 1, 2016.
- Distance Education
Approved to offer programs by this delivery method
- Correspondence Education
Not approved for this delivery method
Approved Credential Levels
The following represents credential levels included in the scope of the institution’s accreditation:
- Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent Included within the scope:
- Post-baccalaureate Certificate Included within the scope:
- Master's Degree or Equivalent Included within the scope:
- Post-Master's Certificate Included within the scope:
- Doctor's Degree - Professional Practice Included within the scope: