Middle States Commission on Higher Education


Frequently Asked Questions

What Happens to Student Records When a College Closes?

The closing institution arranges with the state department of higher education or other appropriate agency to file all academic records as well as financial aid information. If the college merges with another institution, arrangements are made with that institution to receive the records. Students should receive a notice from the college about any arrangements made for filing student records.

Sometimes students wish to know about where their records are filed, long after an institution has closed. In that case, students should begin their inquiries by contacting the higher education agency in the state where the institution was authorized.