Three Commissioners Completed MSCHE Terms at the End of 2021
With the close of another year, the Middle States Commission on Higher Education bid farewell to Commissioners Dr. Mary Kennard, Ms. Denise Mulkern, and Dr. Carl Person, who completed their terms with the Commission on December 31, 2021.
“All three of these folks have done incredible work,” said Dr. James Sunser, who himself completed a two-year term as Commission Chair on December 31 while assuming the new role of Immediate Past Chair on the Executive Committee. “One of the things that we know about this Commission is that it is a working Commission. These are not just honorary types of positions. There’s a tremendous amount of work that each Commissioner supports as they engage in their Committee assignments. All three Commissioners also continued to serve as peer evaluators on visits. On behalf of the Commission, I thank them for their service.”
Dr. Mary Kennard
- Completed a first term which began in January 2019.
- Served on the Committee on Follow-Up Activities and Candidate Institutions and the Committee on Evaluation Reports.
- Served as self-study evaluation team member in 2019.
- Brought to the Commission 23 years of experience as the Vice President and Chief Legal Counsel for American University as well as 40 years of experience in university administration and legal affairs.
Ms. Denise Mulkern
- Elected to her first term as a public representative in January 2016 and completed two terms as a public representative.
- Served as Vice-Chair of the Mid-Point Peer Review Committee in 2020 and 2021.
- Served as a member of the Committee on Follow-up Activities from 2018 to present and the Committee on Evaluation Reports in 2016 and 2017.
- Served as a member of the Finance Committee since 2017.
- Served as chair or member of evaluation teams, including candidate institutions, follow-up teams, Periodic Review Report (PRR) reviewer, and substantive change reviewer.
- Brought to the Commission experience as Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration with Rutgers University until her retirement in 2014.
Dr. Carl Person
- Appointed as a public representative to fill an unexpired term in 2015, elected to his first term in January 2016, and completed two terms as a public representative.
- Joined the Executive Committee beginning in January 2020 and continued through 2021.
- Chaired the Committee on Membership in 2021 after serving as a member in all years since 2016, except in 2017.
- Served as Chair or team member between 2018 to 2019.
- Brought to the Commission 14 years of experience with NASA as well as 20 years with the United States Department of Education.
Categories: The Commission